Thursday, February 11, 2016

Ecstatic To Be Here Till I Saw The Q-Tips!



Whew! We made it! We made it to John's much needed check up with the gastro surgeon! It was the last appointment I was worried about before being OK with leaving him while I go give birth to Emma! And we GOT IT DONE!! 

Sophie cracks me up. She was sitting across from us "reading" a magazine when the nurse came out and called John back. She heard Daddy's name and looked up and smiled! 


Hey! I know that name!!!


 
Dad! Get up! They called you!!


John had this really awesome gastro surgeon that did his surgery in the hospital but she went out on maternity leave within a couple of days of surgery being completed. She was almost due! Then John's care was taken over by her partner. Dr. Miller. He is an awesome doctor. BUT, he isn't sweet natured and tender with him like Dr. Mithani was. John was always rattled after Dr. Miller visited him. Dr. Miller was NOT slow pulling off bandages, or soft touching during belly exams and it always left John feeling sore. He even told me a horror story about Dr. Miller taking HUGE Q-Tips and really digging in to his incision with them..... (all necessary to clean it out and prevent what they call "tunneling")

But my husband was horrified none the less. And made sure to let me know he was and that he wasn't sure he "liked" this guy. (Dr. Miller is just doing his job and is really awesome by the way!)


Here John sits, awaiting Dr. Miller's arrival. By now you know how wonderful my husband is at waiting...

Dr. Miller walks in and goes right to work! As soon as John sees the nurse hand him the HANDFUL OF HUGE Q-TIPS, I saw all the color drain from his face. 

I watched as Dr. Miller REALLY dug in the 18 inch incision. Cleaning as he went, staples flying, digging like he saw gold in John's belly somewhere! My poor husband watched for about 15 seconds then laid his head back and closed his eyes. I was proud of him. He handled it well. Dr. Miller did an excellent job cleaning his incision up and says everything looks GREAT! It was over before we knew it and we were free to go!

The best news was that John could go home and take a REAL SHOWER NOW!! WAAAHOOO!! That made him happy!




He rested for a while once we got home, then when he was ready I taped up his belly so he could enjoy his shower! I even drew a giant S on him! S is for SUPERMAN....or maybe SUPER SKINNY at this point! (Where did you go honey??)

I am so used to sponge bathing him and taking care of him that I had my head peaking inside the shower telling him to make sure he washed this... and don't forget to wash that...

He finally says through giggles, "Stacey! Can you let me enjoy this?! Privacy please!"... HAHHAHAHHA, yes. I suppose I can!

The best news? The surgeon says John can ride with me to the hospital and be there for the baby's birth IF he feels up to it!!!

So now I can just go back to waiting to meet my new daughter! What a load off! The school aged kids have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow. So I intend on taking it very easy. Knowing me, that will last about 30 minutes after I wake up...but at least I'll be at home. And my husband will be with me!! Maybe I'll finally make time to pack that pesky hospital bag! 

Stacey



1 comment:

Unknown said...

So glad things are leveling out some for you! Enjoy and get some rest!!