Wednesday, September 21, 2016

EASY Make Ahead Breakfasts! Put Down Those Frozen Waffles!

School is back in session and that means a busy schedule for our house. I normally don't have time to cook a hot breakfast on weekday mornings and yet I don't like the idea of everyone having to constantly eat frozen waffles, toaster strudels and the like. 

A couple of years ago I went digging around for some ideas on breakfast foods I can make ahead of time. That would mean the hubby and kids could just grab something that was pre-made with love by Mom from the fridge or freezer, heat it up if needed and enjoy my cooking without me actually having to scramble to cook something right in the middle of our morning chaos. I found some amazing choices out on the world wide web! I tried several things, tweeking the recipes to make them my own, of course and they were a big hit! Since then, I try to do make ahead breakfasts as often as I can though since having the newest baby, this has been my first chance in a long while.

I spent this morning assembling my make aheads and wanted to share with you some of my family's favorites. First in the line up is Breakfast Burritos! 


These happen to be sausage, egg and cheese filled though I make them with many different fillings. I assemble, fill, then individually wrap them in saran wrap. Next I place them in a gallon freezer bag. In the mornings the family grabs one or two from the bag, pops them in the microwave and VOILA! Breakfast is ready to go! 






You just can't go wrong with a breakfast burrito in the morning. They are delicious and filling and a great start to the day. 


Another favorite in our household is Refrigerator Oatmeal. This one is always a hit with John P (husband) because he can put in his request for what flavor he would like me to make. He loves bananas and he loves peanut butter so his most asked for flavor is......you guessed it! Peanut Butter and Banana! 

This stuff is super easy. The ingredients are easy. The assembly is easy and you can get pretty creative once you mix the base and mix in whatever flavor combos you like. For today, I did the old standard for the hubby....


It may not appear that the jar has much in it BUT this is a 16 oz mason jar filled about 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the way full of belly filling foods. The first time I made them I actually filled the 16 oz mason jar pretty full and John P told me that was WAAAYY too much food for one sitting. That's saying a lot because my husband can eat fairly good sized portions of food at one time. The very next time I made them I decided to go with the 1/3 to 1/2 full method and that was just right for him and the kids that enjoy them. I usually make 4 of these at a time but you can make as many or as few as you wish. Depending on what you add to them, they will "keep" in the fridge for 2-4 days so I try to only make what we can eat up by then. Keep in mind you are supposed to mix the ingredients and let them set overnight. 

Last on the list for today was Egg Rolls! No, I am not crazy. Yes, I said Egg Rolls. Of the breakfast sort. Not your typical Egg Roll. These were stuffed with sausage, egg and cheese! My kids love these especially. I haven't made them in forever so they were elated to see a container of them in the freezer when they got home this evening. 


Friends, these are so yummy and they are also BAKED!!! I made these with the leftover Breakfast Burrito filling so it made them even more quick and easy! My routine is to make a batch of eggs with whatever fillings I want to use and fill some tortillas and some egg roll wrappers. For instance, later this week I will make a batch of eggs with hash browns and cheese and fill more burrito sized tortillas and egg roll wrappers. Then, I will have two different flavors of both in the freezer!

I have been asked quite a bit where to find these egg roll wrappers in your local grocery store. They should be in the produce section. I have found mine in the produce sections of both Wal-Mart and H.E.B. If in doubt just ask someone. I had never bought mine at H.E.B. before this last trip so I had to grab someone and ask and they pointed me in the right direction. I am excited to experiment with some different combos of fillings for these egg rolls as well! 

I hope to share some actual printable recipes with you very soon! Until then, comment and let me know...


Do YOU have any favorite make-ahead or freezable breakfast recipes? Share the link!

What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?

Share with you soon and as always, love to you all!!

Stacey


No comments: