Wednesday, August 17, 2016

College...The Entering Freshman. My Son Isn't a Baby Anymore....

My son is going to college. That's good. My son is going to college and that's what HE wants to be doing at this stage in his life. That's GOLD. He is doing what he desires to do. He is able to to it. He is capable of doing it. I cannot tell you how proud that makes me. My childhood wasn't the best. I had to make hard choices based on the circumstances I was in at the time. I have wanted, more than anything else, for my kids to be able to choose their paths based on their wants and not based on escaping their horrors. Well, my oldest son is going to college because he WANTS to and I couldn't be happier for him. 

Getting accepted in to college isn't the end. There are so many steps left once you get accepted. I was so glad that my husband and I had the experience to pass on to Jonathan. He was feeling quite overwhelmed by the process but we kept re-assuring him and that seemed to suffice enough for him to keep his nose to the grindstone! I am thrilled that he wanted me by his side helping guide him. 


Here he is waiting for his Guidance Counselor to come and talk to him about what classes he needs to take this semester. I just LOVED her! Not only was she knowledgeable and friendly but apparently she is a Mickey Mouse fan! (Just like me!!)


This college definitely sets students up for success. For one example, they require entering freshmen to join a group with upperclassmen in it, so that they can seek out advice and help if they need it. These groups are branched off by the student's area of study. The student gets to choose the group. They also require weekly participation and meetings in that group.  The reason behind this is so that the student will make friends consisting of older peers that are in the same area of study they are. If Jonathan ever starts to struggle he can turn to these new and older peers for advice. I love that! 

I had Emma with me for most of our journeys to the college and Sophie at times also. It never fails when I take the older kids anywhere with myself and the younger ones people either assume the older kids are the parent of the baby or they assume I am the older kid's sister or maybe a friend. We have even had people ask if I am Jonathan's girlfriend?!?When they ask about the baby and find out I am Mom to older ones and new ones they always give us the crazy eyes. I also get lots of "You look GREAT for having six kids!!" compliments and that never gets old :-)

I can tell you this, it's a surreal life for me right now with Emma on my hip and Sophie hand in hand as I take Jonathan to get his college set up list done. It makes me hold the little ones tighter knowing that it all goes by way too fast and I will be doing this with them one day. 

No entering college Freshman experience is complete without a trip to the book store! 


This store has the cutest LU gear from baby stuff to Grandparent swag! I am such a total sell out so I HAD to get John and I DAD/MOM tees! I let Jonathan pick out some stuff too and I paid for it since he had to drop an INSANE amount on books. I wish you all could have been there to see the look on his face when the cashier gave him his total. I tried to warn him but I don't think it totally sunk in. All color drained from his face. Welcome to adulting SON!!
That was HOW MUCH?!?!?!?!?
Me in my new shirt!!


This kid has been saving up for this very day so he's proud that he could actually do that for himself and I was super proud too! Here's the cool thing. My oldest child Amber, worked at the restaurant Jonathan now works at when we moved here. So she was able to get him "in" with management. We go eat there as often as we can to show our support for our son just the way we did when Amber worked there and it brings back so many memories. Seeing Jonathan in the same uniform. My kids take great care of each other and they are lucky to have each other for siblings!

Jonny at work!!



I can't wait to see what the year holds for us a family and I can't wait to see what college life is like for my son! These are the memories that a lifetime is made of and I just love it!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wising your son all the best as he embarks on his college odyssey. I have one whose graduated college and one who is a junior this year so I understand how you feel sending one off to begin adulting on his own.

Unknown said...

Thank you! It's definitely nerve racking and exciting at the same time!